A Mill stood on the site for over 1000 years and is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. The existing wooden building dates back to 1819with substantial repairs carried out in 1860 and further brick built extensions in 1890. For centuries it functioned as a water Mill, with grain being transported from Maldon along the rivers Blackwater and Chelmer. During the middle of the nineteenth century the Mill was converted to a steam operation.The waterways continued to be used, with coal for the engines being brought to the Mill by horse drawn barges.
Messrs W H Marriage & Son, a local Chelmsford based family business operated the Mill for 200 years until its closure in1971. In 1983 a major restoration project took place and today the Mill is a fast developing craft and business centre housing around 50 licensees.
See below some recent pictures of the site taken from the air, along with some pictures of the front of the Mill.